Reactivating facebook and writing a post about it – so millennial – I own it. So for some context; I am 25 years old and I opened my facebook account in 2008 – when I was 17. So while that is relatively old in today’s era (I am looking at you, my young nieces and nephews with the latest Iphones and Ipads), I had it for a large chunk of time until I decided to deactivate it a few years ago. Why? My career wasn’t moving ahead, I was depressed and social media made it more so. It took some teeth clenching to reactivate the account even now but I got there in the end.
Now I took my sweet time scrolling through the pages and here are some observations and thoughts that occurred to me. Can you relate?
Here we go
- I talked like a fucking idiot
- Incredible narcissism on my part
- Most of the people on Facebook I couldn’t even stand
- Wondering how I had 160 friends when I struggle to upkeep a single relationship today
- Wait a second…am I old?
- Should I grow my hair back?
- Because most people have by now also deactivated their accounts, the conversations I had with them on the site makes it look like I am talking to myself
- I had completely different priorities (none)
- I’ve lost touch with so many
It gets worse
- Tried too hard to be philosophical when quoting rap lyrics
- I had longwinded conversations with people whose existence I don’t remember
- The people that mattered then are still in my life today
- I updated my statuses regardless of likes
- The same person liked my updates all the time – respect the loyalty
- I was called ‘smexcci bitch’ and I had nothing sarcastic to say about it
- I don’t think your body is equipped to cringe so often
- The only good thing facebook does is making you feel popular on your birthday
- So many people got married
- So many babies
- Why did I post this?
- And this?
- Or this?!
Why God why?
- The dual life of having deep conversations with someone online and ignoring and getting ignored by them at school
- I didn’t realise I’ve met so many people in my life
- Spent a lot of time procrastinating and apparently had to let everyone know about it
- Some unfortunate situations of -not logging out of my account and having fart jokes written about me
- I think I was a hell of a lot more social back then.
- How did this lead to my reactivating facebook again?
- Btw what happened to myspace?
- Am I difficult to get on with now?
- Give me a break, I’m just stuck in my ways
- Club promoters were and still are annoying, online and face to face
- Apparently, I was an animal rights activist
- And a Harlem shake activist – remember that one?
I seriously suck
- For some reason, my friend decided to share parts of her coursework on my facebook wall
- I struggled with 500-word essays…what?
- I wrote eight status updates about going to Germany
- Reactivating facebook was dumb idea
- I was having a hard time during results day ( no reminders needed for that one)
- I’ve had the same mobile number for at least 6 years!
- I thought I was funny, some things don’t change